(Readers: Please get pleasure from this traditional Halloween publish from the archives …)
On the subject of Halloween treats I contemplate my 10-year outdated daughter, Nina, to be the final word authority. No one loves sweets and desserts like her — particularly those who comprise chocolate.
Pity any future suitor who makes the “mistake” of getting her flowers over chocolate on Valentine’s Day. The truth is, I at all times inform the Honeybee that, when Nina does begin relationship, if she ever brings residence a boy I discover to be lower than good for my little woman, then I’m going to take him apart and inform him precisely that: flowers, buddy — NOT chocolate.
Heh. That should seal his destiny.
Anyway, I requested Nina if she might give me an inventory of one of the best Halloween treats she’s ever present in her goody bag and, fortunately, she was very happy to oblige.
1. Big-sized sweet bars. No shock right here. We now have some deceptively rich neighbors who get pleasure from handing out actually massive sweet bars each Halloween. You recognize what I’m speaking about: these GIANT sweet bars which might be barely bigger than Rhode Island.
2. Juice bins. Hey, trick-or-treating is tough work, of us — which is why my daughter loves it when she will get a juice field. Nina normally quaffs them on the spot as a way to quench the mighty thirst she builds up gathering her Halloween booty. That, in flip, permits her to remain out longer, which ends up in … much more sweet!
3. Fruit roll-ups. That is one other juicy deal with that Nina likes to eat on the spot as a result of “they’re refreshing” and provides her “further vitality.”
4. Enjoyable Dips and Lick-a-Stix. The genius who created the Enjoyable Dip — fruit-flavored powdered sugar and a sweet stick used for dipping — understood that the majority youngsters like to play with their meals. Enjoyable Dips and Lick-a-Stix permit them to do this with out getting yelled at by Mother and Dad.
5. Marshmallows. My daughter loves getting mini marshmallows as a result of we virtually by no means buy them. The truth is, the one time we purchase mini marshmallows is throughout Thanksgiving once we put them within the fruit salad and use them as a topping for the candied yams.
6. Cash. Only for the report, I requested Nina how a lot money she must get as a way to push “cash” to the highest of this checklist. Her fast reply: $2.50. It’s virtually as if she had beforehand contemplated that query. Possibly she did.
7. Sweet apples. My daughter likes these as a result of they’re enjoyable to eat. For the report, she didn’t really feel the identical approach about caramel apples. Actually? Once I was a child, I most well-liked the latter. (I do know. This isn’t my checklist, so I’ll shut my lure.)
8. Popcorn balls. “Who doesn’t like popcorn balls, Dad?” You’re proper, Sweetheart; I do know I love them. Oh, yeah; Nina additionally wished everybody to know that: 1) popcorn is at all times extra enjoyable to eat when it’s in a ball; and, 2) she awards bonus factors for kettle corn.
9. Goodie luggage. Often, these are small plastic Halloween-themed luggage crammed with just a few items of sweet and perhaps a few cash or a small toy. In line with my daughter, “It’s like a gift, so that you by no means know what you’re going to get!” Consider it as observe for Christmas.
10. Erasers. This can be exhausting to consider, however youngsters love erasers — particularly once they’re formed like an animal or another character. The truth is, when Nina finds one in her Halloween bag she acts as if I simply gave her permission to have a second serving to of dessert. Alright … that’s a little bit of a stretch, however what I imply.
(It is a repost of an article that was initially revealed on October 21, 2009.)
Picture Credit score: (apples) halloweenexpress; (pumpkin) euart